Not really. But I did get accepted into a clinical trial. Here is a link to information about it: A Reduced Carbohydrate Diet Intervention for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
Basically it is a study consisting of me following two different diets for 8 weeks each, one is a "standard" diet and the other is a low glycemic index diet. I went in today for pre-screening to see if I could be a part of the study. They took my height, weight and body fat percentage. The body fat percentage number was SHOCKING. I've always been in decent shape. The past couple of years I have gained some weight, but I would have never guessed that's what my body fat percentage was. And no, I won't be sharing the number here. My weight was no surprise. I've gained about twenty pounds since before we started the IVF process.
After that, I met with a physician to go over my symptoms so that they could ascertain whether they think I have PCOS and could be in the study. I kind of got a wishy-washy PCOS diagnosis from my RE during the second round of IVF. My main symptom was insulin resistance. It turns out I have other symptoms, but I never put them together. I'm insulin resistant, have acne, irregular cycles (although I've never skipped a period, my cycles go anywhere from 24-38 days), and I've got some lovely facial hair. Mainly on my chin and 'stache area. I pluck and trim to keep them in check. They informed me that I shouldn't pluck or wax before the screening so that the doctor could see the extent of the hair. Luckily, they only told me that a few days ago so I didn't have to go too long with a nasty hairy chin. He took a few seconds to look at my face and said that he already saw about five hairs on my chin and that alone would qualify me for the study. He could have at least pretended that it took him a while to find my nasty goatee hairs, lol!
So I'm in the study now. I get 16 week's worth of free food AND they're paying me $800. I eat a mostly vegetarian/vegan diet, and this diet is definitely neither of those, but I'm willing to do it. It will be interesting to me to see how I react to the different diets. I've been meaning to start a vegan low-glycemic index diet of my own, but am a lazy piece of crap and never got around to fully doing it. So this will force me to. And they're scheduling the two phases of the diet around Thanksgiving and Christmas so that I can eat what I want over the holidays.
I won't be starting the diet until the end of September. Mid-September I have to go in for a variety of tests and give a DNA sample and other fun things like that. It should be interesting to say the least!
7 comments:
Sounds like a great study! Money, free food, plus you'll probably lose some weight along the weigh!!
You are hilarious!!!!!
Sounds like it should be interesting! Good luck!
That study sounds awesome. I know of at least one other blogger with PCOS who had success conceiving by using a low GI diet, so that's possibly a good sign! It sounds like your version of PCOS is like mine-- I never had the anovulation, but I did have long and varying cycles. And yeah, I have the chin hair, too. And the insulin resistance. Metform.in has been a wonder drug for me, but I know lots of others can't tolerate it. And the low GI diet kinda accomplishes the same thing anyway.
Best of luck with the study! Free food and $800 sounds great!
That sounds so interesting! I would love to do something like that... would love to know which diet really works best for me & my PCOS-self.
Definitely keep us posted on the progress, and how you feel...and whether or not the diets are actually something you could live with, long-term!
Have a great weekend girl~
That sounds pretty cool! I hope it works!
Good luck, that sounds interesting! I hope it works out for you and $800 isn't bad either!
Post a Comment