Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Surgery!

I met with my doctor yesterday and he agrees that I might have endometriosis.  He said there's a 50-75% chance that I do.  Surgery is scheduled for October 14th.  It coincides nicely with some vacation time that I'm taking so I don't have to worry about rushing back to work.  I know that sounds crappy, taking vacation when you're having surgery, but I would rather do that than use sick days.  We have to use all of our vacation each year or we lose them.  We can accumulate up to 60 sick days.  I'll use one sick day for the surgery and I'm taking vacation the day before and then 3 days after.

Speaking of the day before, I have to do a bowel prep beforehand.  24 hours of a liquid diet + dulcolax + miralax mixed with 64 oz of Gatorade = shitting my brains out.  I'm already looking forward to it.

In addition to the laparoscopy, they will also be doing a hysteroscopy to look at the lining of my uterus.  Fun times all around.  This time my husband will be with me during the surgery instead of my mom so we won't have a repeat of last time.

I asked about my wonky cycles (in the last year they've gone anywhere from 23 days to 40 days).  He thinks that it's PCOS that's screwing them up.  He wants to put me on metformin, but I have to go in and do fasting bloodwork first.  I was on it before during IVF, and it absolutely killed my stomach.  I guess I need to do it though.  I'm pretty sure if I could lose 40 pounds this would no longer be an issue.  Just need to get my ass moving.

1 comment:

Jem said...

Well isn't nice? You have a plan! Okay, the day of prep sounds dreadful, but it's for a good cause.

Oh, and being 40 lbs overweight is a very common PCOS thing, right?

A plan! Hurrah!