Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Finally, my hypochondriac tendencies paid off!  I was right and had an abscess.  Yesterday morning I had a root canal.  It wasn't all that bad, but I'm used to having dental work done at least three times a year so I guess I'm just used to it.

The main reason I'm posting though is to tell about my book club meeting last night.  We read a book by a local author and she was able to come to our meeting and talk about the book!  It was so awesome to talk to the author and hear her process of writing and why she did certain things.  Very cool.

This is a link to the book:  http://www.tkthorne.com/noahswife.html 

There was a side story in the book about a woman who could not get pregnant (a friend of the main character). Of course, being the obsessed infertile, I latched on to that character and devoured any part of the book mentioning her.
 

I so wanted to ask the author what inspired her to include that story, because it really had nothing to do with the main plot. But I chickened out. Maybe I'll email her.

I've never been a very religious person.  I tried when I was younger.  I grew up in the Bible Belt and pretty much my whole family is very conservative and fundamentalist.  But I'm not.  



This excerpt from the book pretty much sums up my thoughts on god and religion:


"How can you dispute the gods' existence?"

"I do not so much dispute is, as I am unconvinced they are as the stories say," I said. "If the gods exist, and if they control everything they way people claim, why do they not give Inka a child? What evil has she ever done to earn their disdain?"

"I don't know," Noah said. "I just know I am blessed to have you and Shem and this little unborn one."

"You are blessed and Inka is cursed? There is no reason to that. If the gods exist, they care nothing about us," I said.

"That is a frightening thought."

"Yes," I agreed. "It is."

3 comments:

C said...

Very interesting. I'm going to check out the book. Sorry to hear of the abscess :(

Jin said...

I've often wondered about that too. That blurb from your book goes through my mind everytime someone says that they're "so blessed to be pregnant". And I'm always like, "so what am I and the people like me, and those who have something horrible happen in their pregnancies - are we all cursed?"

I'll totally have to see if that book is at the library. It sounds good, and that's awesome you got to meet the author! If you do email her and get a response, please share!

www.teamjinfred.wordpress.com

RachelP said...

Hey, I got your comment shortly after I set up my first Appt. with Dr. Long. Did they require husbands at the initial consulatation?