That is the stream of obscenities that would be coming out of my mouth if I were alone right now. But I'm not. I'm at work. At a job I hate. A job that I can't get out of. I've been looking for a new job for about a year now. I've gotten a few interviews, but no offers. Until now, I hadn't really looked at internal jobs at my office because in order to do that, my boss has to sign off on my application. He's the type of boss that will freak out when he learns that his employees are looking.
But a few weeks ago, I found a job that would be worth applying for. I talked informally to the guy who is hiring. The job looked great. There was also one other position that I wanted to apply for. This one was a bit trickier because it was in the same department where I currently work and it might look like they recruited me away, which could cause problems. So I waited a bit to see if the second job would work out. I really wanted that one because I could go around the formal process until I knew for sure that I would get the job. My boss is a blabbermouth and as soon as I tell him I'm looking for another job, everyone will know. Which I don't really mind, except for my co-worker. He hates it here as much as I do. He's been here for 9 months. At 1 year, you are allowed to apply for internal job postings, so that was my goal, find a new job before he does.
Well, he came in late this morning after a "dr. appt" and gave his notice. He found another job. And now my hopes for the jobs I wanted are screwed. I don't think my boss will sign off on my application now. He will deem me "too valuable" to leave. Which sounds nice in theory. In practice, not so much. I will get twice the workload now. Yes, we will hire someone to replace my co-worker, but I will have to do all of his/her work while the new employee gets up to speed on everything, which takes about 6 months in this job. I will also be responsible for training the new employee.
Suffice it to say, it's been a shitty morning. But I have a plan. On Friday I am going to go to my boss and tell him I want to apply for the internal position. He will either sign off on it, or freak out and say no. At which point I will ask for a promotion. I haven't had a grade increase in the three years that I have been here. We're supposed to get one every other year. I've also never gotten a bonus at Christmas time. The guy I share an office with gets one every year, but I've never gotten one.
I hate confrontation. But I'm so fed up with this job that I don't care. There is so much that is shitty about this job that I'm not going to go into. Mainly all having to do with my boss. He really shouldn't be managing people. If we could afford it, I would have quit a year or so ago. But we can't. So I won't.
Maybe by Friday I will have a promotion. Of course, I'll keep looking externally for jobs, but the job market is crap right now. If anyone wants to hire a data an.al.yst, I can send you my resume! Totally serious about that too.
2 comments:
Ugh I am sorry work is crap and getting crappier. I think what you decided to do is the right thing and awesome. Either way you get something good out of it. good luck!
Yup, apply for any and all jobs that will get you out of there!
I was stuck in a horrid job (with great co-workers) for 5 years. My bosses were so horrible, at one point they actually called the police to come in and arrest our senior-designer (one of the sweetest people on this earth, even if he is Australian!) in the middle of work time! The "charges" were fake, and they ended up having to send our whole office to counselling. I spent ages agonizing over leaving, and then another age waiting for the "perfect" job to go to, since the money was OK.
But once I was made redundant, I realised that it didn't matter what job I went to next. All that mattered was that I was outta there!
I hope you're having luck in your job hunt, and I send you my best wishes! :)
Post a Comment