Tuesday, August 18, 2009

IVF

Had our IVF consultation yesterday. They also did the last of my bloodwork for the clomid challenge. It was 9 which is normal, which qualifies us for the Shared Risk program that they have.

Our doctor said that they would be going over our case on Thursday. There are four doctors in the practice and they all meet once a week to go over the cases so that everyone knows what is going on. We're ready to start as soon as we have the money to pay up front.

The shared risk plan is $13,250 for two cycles and any frozen transfers if we have leftovers to freeze. That doesn't include medication. So, we're planning on paying around $18,000 when you include medication.

So that's that. We're planning on going to each of our parents and asking if they could donate some money to "the cause". DH's parents have already offered to pay the full amount. That just doesn't seem fair though, so we're going to go to my dad and see if he can help. Of course we will pay them back when we can. I'm dreading going to my dad though. He lords money over you, it's his way of controlling people. I've worked very hard to become independent and not have to rely on my parents. But it's worth it in this case.

5 comments:

Lin said...

Glad that the consult went well! You're story about passing infertility AND depression on to sons really resonates with me. We've got similar issues with both on DH's side of the family. I will pray for you guys that a healthy baby, that happens to be a girl, is in your VERY near future! :-)

Brave New Gardeners said...

Happy to hear that your consult went well! I hear you on the asking-parents-for-fundage front. It sounds like my mother and your father are a bit similar...even though you repay the money, the debt still remains. Sigh.

Sending well wishes your way...

Saige said...

That's great that your FIL is willing to foot the bill. I hope if your dad loans you some he is kind about not lording it over you. You'll have plenty to handle without that.

Low Fat Lady said...

I hope that you are able to do this and that the money issues don't complicate the relationships in your life.

Jem said...

Hmm. your post is very thought-provoking. My DH really wants a boy. As we are facing MFIF and his dad had low sperm count, a boy would have similar issues. I don't know if Mr. Jem would even consider selecting for a girl.

It's a crap shoot, isn't it?