Monday, August 24, 2009

Question unrelated to IF

So, the BIL I posted about visiting yesterday? He's sick. Being tested right now for the flu. If he has it, the doc recommends that we get tamiflu to prevent us from getting it or to make it less severe.

A lot of my friends are the crunchy hippy organic type and hate tamiflu. They would never take it. I've emailed them to ask for specific reasons, but thought I would ask here too as I am sure to get a more diverse type of people. The risks I've read about online mainly deal with suicidal thoughts after taking tamiflu.

I'm on the fence. I don't know enough to make an educated decision. So if any of you have any knowledge about this, school me!

10 comments:

Missy said...

Hmm, I don't know anything about tamiflu. I'm generally against medicines that just treat symptoms, unless they are severe, so I would look into whether it just treats symptoms. I would wait to see if the BIL's illness is in fact the flu.

kate said...

My MIL sent us a stockpile of Tamiflu a few years ago, because there was some threat that it could run out. All I know is that I'm a fan of Tamiflu because I can't get the flu vaccines (my grandmother died of complications from the vaccine, and I really don't want to risk it, in the event that it's some sort of allergy that I've inherited, or some sort of other systemic sensitivity, etc.).

I had the actual, bona fide Influenza A a year and a half ago, and that was the most miserable sick I have ever been, and had I caught it in time, I could have taken Tamiflu and not missed six days of work.

Those are my opinions about Tamiflu. I've never actually heard that Tamiflu is bad, but then again, for every drug out there, there is a contingency of people that can find some reason why you shouldn't take it (and those people are probably right, to a degree, but in this case, I wonder whether the benefits outweigh the risks). My doc recommended to me that I have the husband be aware of the symptoms, so that if he got any, he could go directly to the doctor and be tested (the test takes 10 minutes), and get the meds right away. Maybe you could do the same? As long as you have easy access to a doctor and lab and pharmacy that can all move quickly, there's probably no reason to take it unless you confirm that you have actually caught it from him, right?

Eileen said...

Don't know anything about it, but I just wanted to wish you good luck and I will keep you in my prayers that the germs stay far far away.


*ICLW*

Kristin said...

I don't know enough about Tamiflu to offer a concrete answer. I have heard that you are actually capable of spreading the flu for 24 hours after taking Tamiflu but I can not swear this is true. Good luck figuring out what to do.

~ICLW

Coffeegrljapan said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/17/tamiflu-questions-and-answers

It supposedly reduces the duration of symptoms but it's not a cure. I'd be torn. The idea of reduced symptoms is nice in theory but if you're still going to have the flu, I'm not sure I see the point. I went through this debate when we thought my daughter might have the flu last winter. It's a tough one. (She didn't have the flu so we didn't use Tamiflu in the end).

kathi said...

I saw an article maybe ?last week? listing side effects of nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps (hmmm, don't you also get those with most types of the flu?) as well as suicidal thoughts and nightmares. I have no real knowledge about Tamiflu, though, sorry :(

I hope your BIL is ok and that none of the rest of you have any kind of flu, either.

:: ICLW ::

nh said...

I spoke to my Dr about tamiflu (we had a few cases at school just before the holidays) he wasn't a great believer in it. It depends, if you get the flu how will it effect you - because it is only those with weakened immune systems, or other health issues which are at serious risk (according to the dr)

ICLW

Hillary said...

I don't know anything about it, but it was interesting to read all the comments. I hope you don't get sick!

ICLW

Anonymous said...

I'm not against meds by any stretch of the imagination, however, I had a really horrible s/e while taking tamiflu last year. It made me *crazy* = literally. I couldn't sleep or eat. I sat on the couch and my mind quite literally raced. It was like my brain would not shut off. It was a horrible experience and it's apparently a common s/e that is listed on the packaging. I think that is what some of the suicidal comments are in reference to. I can certaintly undestand why that would be the case ... I thought I was cracking up.

I'll never take tamiflu ever again. I wish I had done my research before taking it the first time.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Honestly, I'd never even heard of it until I read your post. But, some of those s/e's would give me pause. I don't take things like Nyquil for the same reason (cough meds with alcohol make me hallucinate and pass out). I would check with your local medical help line.