I had a minor meltdown yesterday. I cried for the first time in months. The happy pills had been working pretty well up until then.
We had the consultation with the IVF nurse to go over our schedule. We learned that the drugs would cost us over $4,000. This is in addition to the $13,250 we're paying them next week for the IVF. They had told us we would be more in the $2,000 range for drugs. So we were a bit shocked at that number. After a long drawn-out depressing day with phones calls to everyone under the sun, we're getting some follis.tim and menop.ur donated to us by our clinic. The rest we are getting from Sch.raft's pharmacy. We're still not sure of the final number, but the bulk of the expensive drugs are the ones getting donated.
For a while it looked like our cycle was going to have to be delayed a week which was freaking me out. But we're back on schedule now. I took the N.uva Ri.ng out today and start stims on Sunday night. I'm going straight to stims, not messing with Lu.pron. I don't know why that is. I don't know enough about all the different procedures to know why some people would use Lu.pron and some wouldn't.
So that's where we stand right now. I'm feeling better about this whole thing today. Back to being positive. There was a short time yesterday where I felt like I was going to be childless forever.
3 comments:
As far as I know, they only use both OCPs and Lupron when you really, really, really need to be down-regulated. Usually one or the other is enough. I was totally confused about that part as well, because they didn't use OCPs at all with me, and I thought that OCPs were used to control timing more than anything (which they are-- they just also happen to down-regulate the ovaries as well, obviously). So, if they are at all concerned about "waking up" your ovaries after down-regulation, they won't use both.
In my case, because I was on Lupron for an extra week because of the cyst, it ended up that my ovaries were kind of hard to wake up anyway. And that generally means that you end up having to use more (and for longer) the expensive FSH drugs. So that may be another reason why they aren't doing Lupron, possibly. If they aren't terribly concerned about OHSS (you don't have PCOS, do you?), they probably aren't so worried about overstimming that can sometimes happen with ovaries that aren't totally smashed quiet by the lu.pron. I think. Something like that.
That's so cool! You get to start stims soon! Exciting!
I start stims on Friday. Been on the phone for ages with the Rx people. $4K is the price of my drugs without any insurance. I gave them my insurance info and I'm waiting for a call-back to find out how much we'll have to pay. Insult + Injury.
I too am not taking Lup.ron first but jumping right in with Folli.stim & Meno.pur.
I'm so glad that you were able to get some donated drugs and that you are going to be starting stims soon!
Post a Comment