Thursday, November 19, 2009

Follow up Appointment

Yesterday was our follow up appointment with the RE.  He seemed really disappointed that it didn't work.  We discussed what we would do differently next time (if there is a next time).  He told us we needed to wait a few months to make sure all of the meds were out of my system.  That puts us to trying again in January or February.  We're saying February at the earliest.  There is a half marathon that I want to run in February.  I haven't been running for a month and am feeling like a slob in general so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. 

So here's a summary of what he said.  He's not sure why we only got three eggs.  I'm young, none of the tests showed that we would have a problem.  So we're going to try a diluted Lu.pron flare protocol next time.  He explained why this would probably be better, and it made sense at the time, but honestly, I didn't take notes and can't really explain it in detail here.  It would take longer and involve more meds.  There's no guarantee that I would respond any differently though.  He said some people respond great and have lots more eggs than before, and some respond just the same.  So that's kind of scary.  We are getting a refund of about $4500 because we got kicked out of the Shared Risk program after we had paid for it.  And they're going to give us a 15% discount on the next cycle and try to get some meds donated for us. 

Until then I'm just going to concentrate on training for the marathon and try to get my mind off of this.  Since we started this journey there hasn't been a day go by that I haven't thought about it.  I'm consumed by it.

I'm also applying to a couple of new jobs.  If I manage to get hired in this shitty economy that will change plans.  No way would I undergo IVF right after starting a new job.  I'll just have to see where the next few months take us.

18 comments:

Jem said...

It is strange to get back to life after concentrating so hard on such a time/energy consuming task that is IVF.

I too am looking forward to a bit of a break. We have our WTF appointment on the 30th. Unfortunately, I'm 39 so I can't afford to wait too much longer.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome you are into running and are going to run a marathon. I am sorry you didn't respond that well on ivf. I hope that this new procedure will help.

Astrid said...

It can become all-consuming, this TTC process. I applaud your attitude and your plan for the meantime. Running is the best medicine isn't it? I too neglect my workouts when TTC and it's definitely one of the silver linings of a failed cycle. Running and wine. :)

C said...

((HUGS))

Nicole said...

Good for you for doing a half marathon! I actually had one scheduled for the day I started my Lupron of this current cycle, but I injured my knee 4 weeks before the race :( You go, Girl!
I hope whatever happens with your job situation and the subsequent IF decisions works out the best for you. Best of luck to you

Lin said...

Glad you're taking some time for yourself, to do the things you've been missed lately! Sounds like you're clinic is really willing to work with you, too. Wishing you all the best during your break and the February cycle!

Stacie said...

I am so sorry about the negative. I know they hurt. I just got one myself on Monday. Hugs.

You know, I get oversurpressed with Lupron, and tend to make a lot fewer eggs when I am off it. We eliminated Lupron from my protocol completely, which allowed me to make twice as many eggs as I did while on lupron. Your RE's plan just might help you.

Good luck when you do start up again, and have fun running your marathon!

Stacie said...

Oh, I was here via ICLW. :-)

Jessica said...

I think it's really great that you have running to help you blow off some steam and refocus. I wish I had something like that sometimes :)

Good luck to you guys on your next cycle (whenever that ends up being). My fingers are crossed for you.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry your cycle didn't work. I had a similar week to you. We just completed our first IVF and it failed as well after low/non-doubling betas and 3 positive HPTs. No good reasons either, just failure. I know how you feel. IF bites. And getting kicked out of a shared risk program is icing on an infertile's cake. UGH! I'm hoping your next job has some IVF coverage for you and DH.

ICLW

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I am sorry to hear of your struggles and disappointment for a cycle with only 3 eggs. I hope next cycle turns things around.

It took me 15yrs to achieve my IVF twins ( but it was one year exactly from date of first injectible to their slightly early birth).

I want to run a half marathon or 2 next year to fundraise ...good luck with this too.

hi, I am visiting from ICLW...No. 188 to say hello and to check out your blog.
My Little Drummer Boys

daega99 said...

I did a half marathon this year - I think my running time is over thanks to my knees.....

Happy ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Corrie Howe said...

Stopping by from ICLW, I'm glad I read further down your blog to find that you'd prefer the support of your brother-in-law as "I'm sorry" or "life sucks." So, I am sorry and life is more difficult than can be imagined. I hope that concentrating on a marathon will help you during this time.

Laura said...

Good luck with distractions. I also dated, got married and then he changed his mind about wanting kids. Later we divorced and now I am going to be 45 next month. Too late to even try for kids. I really would have liked them too. Good luck.

Happy IComWeLeave.

Jo said...

It's so frustrating when the RE doesn't have the answers you're looking for. I'm curious, though -- why did you get booted out of "Shared Risk?" Can they even DO that? That seems a bit, well, WRONG to me. Although I'm glad you will be getting some of your money back.

Hoping things fall into place for you soon.

Hugs,
Jo

Lori LeRoy said...

Good luck with your training! I did the same thing after one failed ovulation induction cycle. I was so mad about my zero beta level that three days later I went out and did a half-marathon just to show my body who was boss.

Somehow it seems to work that way with running, but not with getting pregnant. I guess you can only tell your body what it can do to a degree.

Anonymous said...

I pray that you can take this time to focus on your marathon and on having a great holiday season with your husband. I know this is not the life you would have chosen, but I hope that you can see a silver lining in it somewhere. I know that it's hard, but we've all been there to varying degrees. Know that you're not alone.

I hope you've gotten some good comments and traffic during this ICLW!

misterivf said...

wow - lots going on. Marathon, new job and of course IF.. Found yoru blog though ICWL and will catchup on your news! Best of luck and get into that marathon training - endorphins (if I can spell?) are hard to beat!!!